Dr. Snyder is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics, a distinction handed out by a panel of “expert” orthodontists and earned by demonstrating his extraordinary skills and knowledge in orthodontics.
Meet Dr. Snyder
Dr. Edward Snyder was born in Salem Virginia. He attended Hampden-Sydney College and graduated with a B.S. degree in Chemistry. He then attended Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia and earned a Doctorate in Dental Surgery (D.D.S.). After graduation from dental school Dr. Snyder practiced as a family dentist for 3 years and taught children’s dentistry at the VCU dental school for 2 years. He then attended the Eastman School of Dentistry/University of Rochester’s orthodontic program for 2 years and was awarded a Certificate in Orthodontics.
Dr. Snyder opened his practice in Martinsville and 3 years later bought Dr. Gordon Woody’s practice in Danville, which was the oldest orthodontic practice in Southside Virginia. A few years later he took over Dr. Byrum’s Martinsville practice when Dr. Byrum retired. In 1995 Dr. Snyder earned his Orthodontic Board Certification. Dr. Snyder is a Fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the American College of Dentists and the International College of Dentists. His professional memberships include The American Dental Association, The American Association of Orthodontists, The Virginia Dental Association, The Virginia Association of Orthodontists, The Patrick Henry Dental Society and the Roanoke Valley Orthodontic Study Club. Dr. Snyder has often been voted by other dentists and received the “Top Dentist” award.
Dr. Snyder is currently the Virginia Delegate to the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) and he recently published an editorial in the American Journal of Orthodontists and Dentofacial Orthopedics titled “The Principles of an Ethical Practice”. Read Dr. Snyder’s article.
Doctor Snyder is also active in our Community and has received numerous prestigious appointments:
- Founding member, along with Dr. Mark Crabtree, of the Piedmont Dental Clinic and serves as the Vice-President of the Clinic’s Foundation. The Clinic has provided more than 12 million dollars in dental services to the less fortunate in our community
- Council on Membership, Ethics and Judicial Concerns of the American Association of Orthodontists 2014-2018
- Head of committee consisting of 3 members from The Council on Membership, Ethics and Judicial Concerns to rewrite the American Association of Orthodontics Code of Ethics 2017-2018
- Chairman of the the Council on Membership, Ethics and Judicial Concerns 2017-2018
- President of the Virginia Association of Orthodontists
- Appointed to serve a 4-year term on the State of Virginia’s Board of Dentistry by Governor Mark Warner
- Appointed by Governor Bob McDonald to serve a 4-year term on the New College Institute
- Served for 2 years as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for our SOVAH hospitals in Danville and Martinsville
- Active with the Boy Scouts of America and attained the rank of Eagle Scout as a teenager
- District Chairman, Patrick Henry District, Boy Scouts of America and Assistant Boy Scout Leader, troop 326
- Blue Ridge Regional Library President
- Piedmont Youth Soccer League Governing Board and soccer coach for 9 years
Dr. Snyder is married to Kim Kiser Snyder. Dr. Snyder and Kim have three children and recently expanding his family with grandchildren whom he loves spending time with. When Dr. Snyder is not in the office, he enjoys spending time outside and playing golf when time allows.